I have been busy as you can see. Partly because of our forthcoming trip to South Africa but also because I shall be doing my Portfolio Course Level 3 with Claire Tyler in April. It involves making a Moulage following the Kenneth D King method and from there producing a range of advanced level work. We are required to pattern cut one outfit and to attend 10 workshops on top of our tutorials and create a range of work to be shown at a fashion show in June.
I have a number of events coming up which provide me with opportunities to make so exciting things but I need to up my game and work to couture finishes. I have tried to be very particular in my sewing recently but this will take things to a new level. The trick with all of this is to use the techniques appropriate to the items being created. I am hardly going to bring a couture finish to a T shirt but I might to a jacket.
The things I intend to make include:
- A Classic Blazer
- Fitted LBD with a devoré and silk evening coat
- A Marfy pattern dress – more of which later
- A dress and coat for a wedding
- A Chanel style jacket for wearing with trousers. (This will probably be made after the course has finished)
It is fair to say that I shall be working very hard as I need to produce a file of samples of different techniques along side the completed work I shall be showing.
I started off this weekend by making a very simple boiled wool swing jacket. The pattern is by The Makers Atelier and is one which has enormous potential for translating into different types of jackets depending on fabric and interpretation.
I decided to Hong Kong bind all the seams with very pretty Liberty Lawn binding. I was careful not to bind the sleeve seam though as I didn’t want little flowery material to be showing on the outside of the jacket. As the fabric is boiled wool there was no need to hem it.
As you can see it is very simple but the neckline is very attractive and it looks good over a dress as well as trousers. The fabric is very warm as it is 100% wool from Bloomsbury Square Fabrics
I re-shaped the facings so that they would sit better with the jacket given the weight of the wool fabric.
A lovely make which I am itching to make again. Several more on the to-do list then!!